Types of Work Permits in Kenya and How to Obtain Them

Any Non-Kenyan who wants to reside or work in Kenya whether paid or voluntarily should have a work permit for him or her to be accepted by the Kenyan Government legally. The work or residence permit is issued by the Department of Immigration services. All work permits and visas are issued under the Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act 2011 of Laws of Kenya. Permits are categorised from A to M so for you to know the kind of work permit you need, you should carefully read each and every category.

General Requirements of Work Permits

Every work permit has its own typical requirements that a person should have for him or her to be granted the permit. But all categories, from A to M have several general requirements including, having a Dully filled and signed application Form 3, Copies of the National passport, covering letter from the employer and two coloured passport size photos. The type covering letter differs depending on the permit one is applying for, but it is a must that you get a covering letter on every permit.

Brief Descriptions of the Various Categories of Work Permits in Kenya

Class A work permits are issued to those who want to do mining or mineral sourcing and trading in Kenya. One should reveal all the capital and necessary resources needed in the business for him or her to get this permit. A processing fee of 10,000 Kenya shillings would be charged.

Class B work permit is issued to those who want to invest in Agriculture and Animal Husbandry to ensure. A proof of land ownership or lease should be showcased, capital to invest, copy of the PIN and a non-refundable fee, of 10,000 Kenya shillings.

There is no class C. Class D is issued to those who want to be employed by a specific employer who is authorised by the government to employ international people. For this class, you need to pay 10,000 shillings non-refundable and renew it with 20,000 shillings per year.

Class G is issued to people who want to venture in specific trade, business or consultancy. You must provide proof that you have the capital, already you must have invested 100, 000 USD of capital in a certain business, pay 10,000 shilling processing fee and you should be ready to renew it at a cost of 100,000 Kenyan shillings per year.

There is no Class H. Class I is issued to a member of missionary society, and he or she should prove to the government that his existence is beneficiary to the people of Kenya. A copy of registration of the organisation should be offered, and a processing fee of 10,000 shillings should be offered. You will need 5,000 shilling every year to renew it. Academic and professional papers should be availed as well.

Class K is issued to people who have income derived from sources outside Kenya, and they agree not to undertake any kind of paid employment in Kenya. Class M work permits are for refugees in Kenya.

In summary, all these classes are issued depending on your purpose of stay in Kenya.